photo c2f2b482954a36ed8e31b3782ddbd248_zpsce020d8c.jpg Home About Me Nail Care Disclosure Contact  photo e12a381ad30282bd4f39f6f699cd8a07_zpsbaf600bc.jpg
Thursday, May 15, 2014

Gradients & Glitter

Gradients are probably my favorite nail art technique. Once you figure them out, they're by far the quickest way to make a simple mani something more striking and special. Usually I try to stick to similar colors, or shades at least in the same family, when doing gradients, but for this mani I pushed myself to try something new. 


The pink half of the gradient was made using Revlon Parfumerie - Ginger Melon. I have a handful of polishes from this collection, and I've been really impressed with the quality of all of them--not to mention their amazing scents! Ginger Melon was one I wanted to for a while, and it was difficult to find, but I'm so glad I finally did. It's a gorgeous, warm toned pink that smells incredibly delicious.

The blue half of the gradient is Sally Hansen - Blue Me Away! This polish was a birthday gift from my dear friend Rei, and I can't believe I'm just now getting around to using it. Its a summery, vibrant turquoise that gets amazingly opaque coverage. This actually reminds me that I should pick up more polishes from the X-treme Wear line, since they've always had great formulas and I hear they're good for watermarbleing. 



Also, I used the Elmer's glue anti-clean up method for the first time. It's AMAZING how much time it saves, especially for this blue that screams "NAIL STAINER!" I need to practice my application a little, (I got to close to the nail and ended up pulling up some of the polish from my nail) but I'll definitely keep practicing this method just because it's so easy, and saves my cuticles from too much acetone bathing.


I topped the gradient with one dabbed coat of Lumina Lacquer - Dance in the Rain. If you can show me an indie line with better mixes in their glitter bombs, I will eat an entire humble pie. Every polish I've tried by Lumina is incredible, complex, and unique, and it's always easy to grab all of the glitters--even those large dots I love so dearly!

I went macro crazy when photographing this mani, so you get two!



For the two macros, the first photo in the post, and the one below, I topped the entire look with a generous coat of Sally Hansen - Big Matte Topcoat


I loved wearing this and got lots of compliments! I even got one from a stranger on the train this morning, which always makes my day. I wish I could keep it on for a few days, but I've got plans for a very special themed mani for the weekend, so it will have to live on in photos alone. However, expect to see LOTS more gradients now that I've found the glue method!

No comments:

Post a Comment